Skip to main content

BREAST CANCER SERIES

 

BREAST CANCER SERIES 1: Knowing The Breasts

The breasts are secondary sex characteristics of females but are also present in rudimentary form in males. The female breasts begin to develop during puberty due to the production of the hormone estrogen and growth hormones. The breast is a modified  sweat gland.

The breast consist of mammary gland, which is made up of a number of ducts and secretory lobules. Each lobule is made of tiny, hollow sacs called alveoli, which drain into a single lactiferous duct (milk duct). The milk  duct serves as the passageway of the milk from the lobules to the tiny holes in the nipple. The dark area of skin surrounding  the nipple is known as the areola. Newborns do not see quite well so the areola which becomes darker after birth helps them find their source of food.

This illustration shows major parts of the human female breasts.

The mammary  glands  are lined by cells known as myoepithelial cells which have the ability to contract to release milk from the lobules. The breast is anchored to the chest wall by strong a ligament known as the cooper’s ligament. The breast is also made up of adipose or fat tissues which determines the size and softness of the breast. The breast do not have muscle tissues but there are muscles lying underneath the breast which separate it from the ribs. There are also blood vessels that carry blood to and from the breasts and underlying muscles; the pectoralis muscles. There are also the lymphatic vessels that drain into lymph nodes under the armpit, above the collarbone, behind the breastbone. The lymphatic drainage of the breast is of clinical importance because it plays a major role in the metastasis of breast cancer.

When a woman is not lactating or breastfeeding, the milk duct is blocked by what is known as the keratin plug to prevent bacteria from entering the duct to cause infection.

Comments

  1. Well explained for the common person to clearly understand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please when will the next information be released?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ABCD... in the bank, part 1

  ABCD... in the bank. My phone rang at 12AM that day. I was in that stage of sleep where reality was dreamlike and  dreams  were tangible  and real. The sustained ringing of the phone jerked me out of my sweet dreams and  shook me out of its intoxicating effects. It was my  sister. She  skipped the salutations and blurted into my ear ,’ I  need 15000  immediately, my life depends on it!’. I wanted to ask her what the emergency was but she was too busy shouting instructions on how I could get the money to her with lightening speed . I did not have that amount of money on me at that time. I never kept that much money on me just in case I ever  got robbed. I was always  sober and vigilant. I always took all the necessary precautions to prevent myself from getting robbed and I had been successful so far, but that day my luck run out. I got to the International Technical Bank early in the morning at  exactly 8:30am. I was the first customer and the first to enter  through their doors

ABCD... in the bank, part 2

  I needed a wide bore cannula to relieve the pneumothorax but the place was a bank not a hospital!, I had to think fast and improvise. I had a penknife in my bag. I always carried it with me just in case . I located his second intercostal   along the midclavicular   line and made   an incision there into his chest cavity. The trapped air rushed out like gas coming out of a bottle of Coca Cola that has been   shaken vigorously before being opened. It stopped as sooner as I pulled the knife out. This was expected, I needed something to keep the hole open, ideally   a chest tube with an underwater seal. A pen top could do the job too, in this dire circumstance. I grabbed a pen top from one of the numerous ‘chained pens’ in the bank. I jabbed it into the hole and the air rushed out   till his left lung expanded enough to enable him breath with minimal difficulty. The next thing was to stop the bleeding. I had no bandages for that, hence one of his comrades gave me a bandana which I secure

The Case Of The Christmas Catheter

  “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke. My name is Dr Sampson Galena. I am not like any of the doctors you have met.No, I’m not your regular doctor. The regular ones  are law abiding, docile, calm ,pacifists, and adjust to situations instead of making their voice heard and making changes for the better. I do not have such weaknesses.Many at times this lands me in serious trouble but I always wriggle my way out, one way or the other , until the case of the Christmas catheter . The day was Friday, the 25th. The month December and the year, the worst year in all the history of mankind, the coronavirus year. I was on duty that blessed but accursed day, at the war zone, the emergency.  Being  on duty at the ER on a Christmas Day was as hectic as it was prejudiced. Also the duty commenced as early as 6am in the morning till 8pm in the evening and it was usually meted out as a camouflaged  torture. I arrived at the emergency at  6am