Skip to main content

SOCIAL MEDIA

Social media; A tool for democratizing health



‘An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.’- Benjamin Franklin.


I was overcome with extreme gloom and great melancholy that fateful morning. A distraught mother rushed her 17yr old daughter into the ER (emergency  room) screaming for help.The girl was extremely pale and her breathing was labored. Her conjunctiva was so yellow that I picked up the jaundice from a mile away.
She had been told by a neighbor that drinking a mixture of akpeteshie and camphor would cure her chicken pox in a matter of hours with no scarring from the rash. She had tried the magic potion and the results was the reason why she was in the ER

Her liver was failing , she was hemolysing. We had to quickly intervene with a blood transfusion and some liver protective treatments to prevent her untimely demise. She survived but she had other problems; she could not pay her hospital bills. Her parents had no money for that.The management for chicken pox costs next to nothing since it is self limiting but her taking of the magic potion had brought the extra cost, the cost of ignorance. She was lucky ,she did not have to pay the ultimate price, with her life. Indeed the people of God were perishing for lack of knowledge.

Two weeks later the girl was discharged home fully recovered.It did not take two weeks for her to recover, that took just 5 days.She spent the rest of the days looking for money to pay her bills until the hospital staff had mercy on her and made contribution to pay for her.

This teenager’s own is just one of the many cases that could have been easily prevented with health education. In third world countries like our own where healthcare delivery is wretched, our ‘nuclear weapon’ should be prevention. Not getting the disease in the first place is the perfect cure. Unfortunately, we do not have the money and resources for health education.The first time most Ghanaians get to hear about how to prevent a disease is when they are on admission at the hospital, with the same disease of course. Some do not even live to apply what they learn.

The solution to this issue escaped me for a long time till the day I got enough money to buy a smartphone. I started enjoying the delights of social media apps such as Instagram,Facebook,Twitter and the likes. Then it struck me. Most people own a smartphone these days. Even if they do not own one they know someone who does and they have used it to access social media before. Secondly, stuff that show up on social media tend to spread like wild fire.....if they are bad or scandalous but most people think medicine is bad anyway and that’s scandalous. Hence, I found my solution to the problem .Social media was the solution. The answer to putting the power of the masses over their health into their own hands. The tool to democratize health.

The public health programs  such as the national AIDS control program, national tuberculosis control program, immunization programs can all be advertised with social media. Health talks can be posted on social media instead of ‘sex tapes’. Awareness for breast cancer and cervical cancer can be done every single day of the year using social media. We do not need to wait for special weeks or months to create awareness.We do not have to wait for an Ebola outbreak before we get creative. Prevention has always been the preferred way of dealing with diseases and every other problem in life and social media can play a great role.

So the  17 year old girl would not have gone through this traumatic experience , an experience which in itself can give her PTSD(post traumatic stress disorder) another serious condition, if social media had ‘health tapes’ instead of sex tapes. Democracy is the preferred way of governance so let us not make healthcare a dictatorship. Let us use social media to democratize healthcare.


E.Y.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ABCD... in the bank, part 1

  ABCD... in the bank. My phone rang at 12AM that day. I was in that stage of sleep where reality was dreamlike and  dreams  were tangible  and real. The sustained ringing of the phone jerked me out of my sweet dreams and  shook me out of its intoxicating effects. It was my  sister. She  skipped the salutations and blurted into my ear ,’ I  need 15000  immediately, my life depends on it!’. I wanted to ask her what the emergency was but she was too busy shouting instructions on how I could get the money to her with lightening speed . I did not have that amount of money on me at that time. I never kept that much money on me just in case I ever  got robbed. I was always  sober and vigilant. I always took all the necessary precautions to prevent myself from getting robbed and I had been successful so far, but that day my luck run out. I got to the International Technical Bank early in the morning at  exactly 8:30am. I was the first customer and the first to enter  through their doors

ABCD... in the bank, part 2

  I needed a wide bore cannula to relieve the pneumothorax but the place was a bank not a hospital!, I had to think fast and improvise. I had a penknife in my bag. I always carried it with me just in case . I located his second intercostal   along the midclavicular   line and made   an incision there into his chest cavity. The trapped air rushed out like gas coming out of a bottle of Coca Cola that has been   shaken vigorously before being opened. It stopped as sooner as I pulled the knife out. This was expected, I needed something to keep the hole open, ideally   a chest tube with an underwater seal. A pen top could do the job too, in this dire circumstance. I grabbed a pen top from one of the numerous ‘chained pens’ in the bank. I jabbed it into the hole and the air rushed out   till his left lung expanded enough to enable him breath with minimal difficulty. The next thing was to stop the bleeding. I had no bandages for that, hence one of his comrades gave me a bandana which I secure

The Case Of The Christmas Catheter

  “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke. My name is Dr Sampson Galena. I am not like any of the doctors you have met.No, I’m not your regular doctor. The regular ones  are law abiding, docile, calm ,pacifists, and adjust to situations instead of making their voice heard and making changes for the better. I do not have such weaknesses.Many at times this lands me in serious trouble but I always wriggle my way out, one way or the other , until the case of the Christmas catheter . The day was Friday, the 25th. The month December and the year, the worst year in all the history of mankind, the coronavirus year. I was on duty that blessed but accursed day, at the war zone, the emergency.  Being  on duty at the ER on a Christmas Day was as hectic as it was prejudiced. Also the duty commenced as early as 6am in the morning till 8pm in the evening and it was usually meted out as a camouflaged  torture. I arrived at the emergency at  6am